Family Law Attorney
There’s nothing more important than family. If you or your family is experiencing legal issues, then you need a law firm whose lawyers will take the time to ensure that your family’s legal needs are met. Below are examples of when you’ll want to consult a family law attorney at Black Clay LLC in Indianapolis.
When to Consult an Attorney
- If you are contemplating filing for divorce or your spouse has hired a divorce attorney;
- If you are seeking to modify an existing child custody order or are in need of a lawyer to prevent an existing child custody order from being modified;
- If your father’s or mother’s rights are being denied or you need a modification to a parenting time order;
- If you are seeking an adoption or need an adoption attorney;
- If your child is or alleged to be delinquent;
- If you want to file for paternity, or need representation in a paternity action; or
- If you are seeking to establish a guardianship.
Parenting Time Guidelines
The Indiana Supreme Court has recently issued new parenting time guidelines that went into effect on March 1, 2013. These guidelines, designed to assist parents in establishing parenting plans (i.e., date/time/frequency of visitation), represent the minimum time a parent should have to “maintain frequent, meaningful, and continuing contact with a child.” Several options for parents who are in agreement on the issue of visitation (and even those who are not) include:
- Specific calendar year-long parenting time schedules, including pre-arranged agreements for holidays, summertime, and vacations;
- Petition to Court to adopt new parenting time schedules for existing orders currently unaffected by the new guidelines;
- Petition to Court to update/establish parenting time orders to allow regular phone and e-mail communication between child and parent, and ensure that communication to child is not blocked by the other parent; and
- Petition to Court to establish “parallel parenting” orders, which minimize contact between “high conflict parents” in order to reduce the stress on a child of parents who are in frequent disagreement and conflict.
To be enforceable, parenting plan agreements between parents after March 1, 2013 must be in writing, signed by both parties, and filed for approval by the Court. Set up an appointment with Black Clay LLC in order to discuss your options regarding setting up a parenting time agreement, or modifying/replacing an existing order.
A divorce or custody dispute can be a stressful time, especially if you don’t have an attorney. Don’t settle for a divorce lawyer who won’t return your calls. Matt and Adam, both former attorneys for the Indiana Attorney General’s office, pride themselves on their ability to offer effective, affordable representation, as well as their accessibility.
Black Clay LLC’s family law attorneys are available for appointments outside of regular office hours, and are also available on weekends. Our office is conveniently located on the north side of Indianapolis, just south of Carmel at the Meridian Street exit of I-465. In addition to family law, if you are seeking a criminal defense attorney, personal injury lawyer, small business lawyer or estate planning attorney, the professionals at Black Clay LLC offer those services as well. We proudly serve the areas of Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, Noblesville, and Indianapolis. Contact us today at (317) 580-9007.